Image Upload

File size must be less than 500kb

File types (jpg, png, gif)






house-fire-contained

House Fire Contained

House Fire Contained

An electrical fault sparked a fire in a Colac home on Monday

Homeowners have arrived home to their kitchen on fire in Johnstone Crescent in Colac today.

At 1.05pm, an electrical fault sparked a fire at the rear of the Colac home. Colac and Irrewarra brigades quickly doused the fire and confined into the kitchen area of the house, the kitchen now destroyed.

Article continues below


District 6 Operations Officer Mark Gunning said doors being closed meant the rest of the house was saved.

"Crews did really well to confine it to the kitchen. The good news story is that the doors were closed. If the doors to the rest of the house were open, we would've been looking at a significant loss. As much as it's sad that they've lost their kitchen, it could've been worse.

"It's a timely reminder, at winter time there's so many house fires. Make sure doors are closed within the premises as it will confine fires to their room of origin. Or if they leave a room where a fire is occurring, shut the door behind you, it'll give you more time to get out and also hold the fire until fire brigades can arrive.

Don't overload powerboards or electrical sockets, check the load. If you're unsure, get an electrician to look at them."

A mechanised woodsplitter also sparked a fire in Strachan Street in Birregurra at 1.35pm. The fire was found to be a mechanical fault in the machinery, with Birregurra and Irrewarra brigades getting the fire under control immediately.

There was never any danger to housing or people.'

The Latest

Join Us